Thursday, October 8, 2009

Meiji Jingu Shrine

Last Sunday I was pleasantly surprised by some decent weather and decided to make use of my day outdoors. I headed to Harajuku station to the Meiji Jingu Shrine which is located in the vast Yoyogi Park. It was a peaceful, serene walk into the park and along the trail to get to the shrine. I learned a lot about Emperor Meiji and Empress Shoken, whom the shrine is dedicated to, as well as the Shinto religion. Upon entering, I learned from the helpful pamphlet that the holy water washing of the hands is a way to pay respect, and so I did. Then I noticed the various wedding photos being taken. There was a family portrait being set up, a couples photo, and then later another procession through the shrine. All of which I have pictures up on my gallery. It was wonderful and joyous and brought such a smile to my face to get to experience such a unique thing while visiting. I could see myself perhaps getting married in a place like this. Though perhaps in a different ensemble.
Then I came across the enormous collection of dolls. I learned that on that particular day, it was Doll Thanksgiving Day. It's a way to say farewell to old dolls and their souls. The following is very interesting information from a handout I received about the process courtesy of the Doll Appreciation Association: Japanese have believed that dolls possess souls, with the custom of treating them with great care and respect and passed down over generations. Shinto religious ceremonies are carried out to purify and bless the existence of old, used, or broken dolls that have completed their service. People bring in dolls and write messages of gratitude to their dolls on paper cutouts, placing the notes before the shrine altar. The messages are used by Shinto priests in bringing peace and tranquility to the souls of the dolls, returning the dolls themselves to the state of mere physical entities. This also is a time for their owners to bid farewell with reassurance. Approximately 40,000 dolls were expected to be enshrined at Meiji Jingu that day. After the ceremony, the dolls are returned to the state of materialistic objects and disposed of in proper and respectful fashion.
Following my time at the shrine, I made my way over to the shopping area in Harajuku. Which is quite extreme and intense on a Sunday. Unfortunately my camera battery died at that point so next Sunday I will return to capture all the crazy fashions. Though I did get to snap a couple earlier of some of the entertainers outside the park, like this guy who was dressed this way just for pictures I think.During my wandering, I stopped and had a snack at this french croissant shop which served me The MOST Amazing warm chocolate-banana croissant I've EVER had. It melted in my mouth and put me in a whole other dimension haha. Out of control. So all in all, it was a pretty great Sunday adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment