Monday, October 19, 2009

Saturday's Wanderings

This past Saturday I set my alarm for 6 am with intentions of taking a day trip out to Nikko to see the fall foliage and some shrines. But when my alarm went off, I awoke to a sheet of grayness covering the city, with a lingering air of dampness. I quickly googled Nikko on a cloudy day to see if it was going to be worth the trip and came to the conclusion that trip would be best spent on a sunny day. So I went back to sleep and had a leisurely day taking my time, with no plans or schedule. I made my way to Yoyogi Park for the afternoon to check out a Vegan/Vegetarian Festival I read about on an online food website for Tokyo. Before I made it to the festival, I wandered through the park (which is huge) and found a beautiful rose garden and took some time to photograph some of the beautiful nature.I found the festival and wandered up and down the long line of booths set up. There was mostly different cuisines featured, but also some organic teas, clothing, and beauty products being sold. They had movie screenings and speakers for the festival which was both Saturday and Sunday. While most everything was in Japanese, it was still very interesting to see the interest in Organic, Vegan, and Vegetarian concepts. I think it's something not too common in Japan, whereas these ideas have already been around in the U.S. for awhile so I was curious as to how they were presented to participants. I did get a few fliers in English from PETA but I don't necessarily agree with their marketing strategies in scaring people out of eating meat through disturbing facts and photos. I went around picking up free samples where possible and eventually had a vegan lunch.After, I walked around the area a bit more and noticed there was some other stuff going on in the park. I came across a flea market as well as some musical performances in the open venue. I went up and down each aisle of vendors and looked at all the goods being sold, it was an interesting window into the Japanese culture. I made out like a bandit with some bargains- I found 2 t-shirts and a pair of jeans in a box of $1 items (or 100 yen haha). A vintage necklace I scored for $4, a soft, comfy plaid scarf for $3, and some other charms and misc items. The trend-spotting was fun too.

adorable little girl- can I keep her?

Since I was so close to Shibuya, I made my way over and walked around browsing and shopping there. I found a great, cheap store called Three Minutes Happiness and it really does bring happiness. Kind of like an Ikea but with clothes as well as household goods. I got the softest, fuzziest vest for 20 bucks its so cute! Nail polish for $1... I could go on! The shopping here is dangerous. And I even make sure they're bargains because it can get pricey. Like the next store I went in- Opening Ceremony. It's a crazy awesome store that takes interior decorating and displays to a whole other level. Each floor has a unique decoration theme, crazy mannequins, and is made to look like a playhouse or cottage sort of. You aren't supposed to take pics but I snapped a few so check out the gallery for more. Designers like Alexander Wang, Betsey Johnson, Chloe Sevigny, Comme des Garcons, Jeremy Scott, and Pendleton are features in the store, among other designers I hadn't heard of before. Amazingly crafted dresses run for about a thousand dollars and it was quite a shopping experience.mannequin was mechanically running- with a horse head. quite odd.

After I treated myself to dinner solo at a Yakitori place that was advertising on the street for 10% off the menu. Yakitori is just basically grilled whatever on a skewer. I ordered a skewer each of beef, asparagus wrapped in bacon, shiitake mushrooms, and chicken meatballs. There were some more adventurous items I stuck away from (chicken liver, gizzards, etc) since I had just been to a Vegan/Vegetarian festival earlier haha. I'm kind of all over the place, but while I'm in Japan I'm going to experience the culture and food to the fullest so I'll decide how I feel about meat when I get back. They were all delicious and I dipped them in sauces- I love anything grilled. Along with them, I ordered a rice ball stuffed with salmon, wrapped in seaweed. Very fresh and warm- yum! I enjoyed a nice glass of Umeshu- a kind of sweet plum wine/brandy- to go with and felt very relaxed dining by myself at the bar type seating for solo diners. I took my time, had no where to be or any obligations, and just relished the moment (and my Umeshu, since I can legally drink here). All in all, it was a lovely day to myself even though I didn't get to do the planned Nikko excursion. But that will be saved for next weekend.

Sunday I had an acting job! It was a small role I had in a Japanese TV Drama- remaking a movie about Romania in the 1950s. Apparently the dictator demanded everyone have 5 kids to try to expand the population... it's the story of this one man's life who made an impact. My role was to be the wife, in extremely painful labor, giving birth to the 4th of 5th kid I think. They filmed this part in a dingy, creepy old hospital that no one uses anymore so they film stuff there. I swear it'll give me nightmares. I had a goofy nightgown on and they stuffed a pillow under it as I layed there and got some good acting practice screaming in pain and breathing intensely in labor. It was pretty funny. Then after I supposedly gave birth, they filmed just my hand falling off the bedside to indicate I didn't make it. So ominous. But pretty easy and I met some interesting people. Sorry no pics of that haha. That's all for now- stay tuned for more this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment