Sunday, November 1, 2009

Happy Halloween


Happy Halloween to all you ghouls and goblins. While Halloween is celebrated in Tokyo, it's still not the same as back home in the states. The Japanese like decorating and they've had festive decor up for the past month or so now, along with specialty pumpkin sweets and other fall things. But they really don't understand the meaning of it or why it's celebrated. The kids don't trick-or-treat and nobody really dresses up, except the people who go out Halloween night to clubs or bars for nightlife festivities. So not all was lost by being here for the holiday, just some of the other joys that go with it like pumpkin carving, toasting seeds, parades, mischief night, trick and treats, and the overall feel you get from seeing everyone in costume. I'm sure New York was quite a sight, though I got an eyeful myself last night in Shibuya walking to and at the club. I dressed as Princess Sparkle, a My Little Pony, as I had pieces of things I'd purchased while here in Tokyo and thought the cuteness was perfectly fitting to the culture here. And it was- all the Japanese girls kept saying how cute my outfit was and wanting pictures with me. I made lots of friends. The club we went to even had a costume contest so I entered in it- lucky #13- but unfortunately didn't win the grand prize (which was a grand $$). Below are some pics I snapped and there's more at the gallery.


No comments:

Post a Comment