Monday, March 8, 2010

Down the rabbit hole and back


Last night I embarked on a 3D adventure into wonderland, as created by Tim Burton. Before the highly-anticipated movie opened this past weekend, I had been re-reading the original story by Lewis Carroll- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. There is always a risk when doing a film adaptation to an originally written piece, but since this is a re-make to the Disney classic by a mastermind with his own wild imagination (with the newly sensational use of 3D effects), there was a general sense of excitement to see where Burton would take us. I had been looking forward to this cinematic adventure for the whole weekend, ignoring any outsiders opinions or critics' reviews. Dressing in my own Alice-inspired ensemble (photo to come), belly full of cupcakes, and my 3D glasses in hand, I ventured into wonderland. I have to say I enjoyed the movie immensely. It was a magical adventure filled with fantastical images, and the 3D experience made it all the more real and I felt as though I truly was with Alice, along for the ride. I agreed with and liked Burton's interpretation and creation of the various characters for the most part. He used just enough of his artistic license in altering the plot, but didn't push the limits or make it too gothic, which has been his style in the past. Afterward, I was still in a bit of a daze myself, trying to come out of wonderland and back to reality- which was one of the messages Burton gave viewers in learning how to face the responsibilities of life and not get lost in imagination, though it is a powerful and beautiful thing. On the way home, I let the images swirl around in my head and was inspired to put them to paper. The result of that train ride is the above doodlings. I'm no Tim Burton, but he has definitely sparked my imagination and curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment