Monday, February 22, 2010

My Park

Last Sunday was spent lazing around in my Brooklyn apartment. I thoroughly enjoyed doing so and not having anywhere to be at any time because lately I've been running around so much, to and from the city, it gets exhausting. And that's what Sundays are for, right? After a wonderful Sunday brunch at home and some blog browsing, I went to visit my park- Prospect Park. It's kind of the Central Park of Brooklyn since it's the next largest and is just as picturesque. In fact it's so huge it has lots of sports grounds, nature trails, ponds for paddle boats/ice skating, playgrounds, a carousel, and even its own zoo. When I first moved into my apartment over the summer and discovered the park 2 blocks away, I spent much of my time exploring, jogging, and picknicking there. But as the fall and winter months crept in and brought on the chill (as well as the fact I was overseas for most of fall), my visits there became far and few in between. With the exception of a night-time sledding venture to the park a few weeks ago during the blizzard with my roommates (which was actually a magical experience since I felt like I was in Narnia), I have not been able to brave the cold and visit the snow-covered grounds. However Sunday was an exception since it was relatively warm out-- look at me, a Floridian, calling barely 40 degrees "warm", I guess I'm adjusting. Everyone else seemed to be taking advantage of this too as I saw lots of life and energy fill the park- families walking, athletes biking and jogging, children playing at the playground, couples sitting on benches, dogs with their owners, and solo park-goers like myself.
The park is a place where I can find some quietude, feel in my element, and get my dose of nature that I lack going back and forth into Gotham city- where ubiquitous skyscrapers overshadow the busy streets and there's a constant hustle and bustle. I'm anxiously awaiting the coming months when I can watch the remnants of winter's harshness gradually melt away and blossom into spring.




On the walk home, I snapped a few shots of the gorgeous brownstones... I wouldn't mind living in one.


Who wouldn't want to come home to that entrance everyday?

2 comments:

  1. I totally wouldn't mind living in one of those brownstones either. especially if I can visit you in your big, lovely park. how's the giant yellow tree doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids are really excited to play hockey! That is a classic park. The fallen tree trunk reminds me of my childhood. And it is a pretty big park, according to the pictures. Well, that's a nice place to relax and do some blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete