Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Remembering Marilyn

Marilyn & Chuck

My Grandma Marilyn passed away over the holidays and last Friday was her birthday. She's been on my mind quite a bit lately, though I am not mourning her death because I know her soul still lives on and she's at peace. For one of my assignments in my online class, we had to pay tribute to someone we love, so I wrote her a letter that I've included below with some old photos I love of her.
being a goofball

Grandma,
While I did not get to officially say "goodbye", I'm not sure I reall
y needed to. Because it's not a goodbye, but rather a transition phase. Your spirit is transitioning to another life or form or place, and I still feel it with me on this earth. I might even get to really see you in that "other place" when I too transition to another form. Gradually, since December, I have been feeling your absence more and more, but I also find you peeking around in little places here and there. There are subtle reminders of the amazing grandmother you were to me and memories I'll never forget. Mom's big orange Betty Crocker cookbook will get passed down to me at some point, with all its loose newspaper clippings and your hand-written recipes and notes. Each time mom and I bake or cook together, you're still there too even if we can't call you up 20 times and ask you questions. You're even here with me in New York as it was once a place you lived a life ago before I was born, and a place you visited with me and mom. There is wonderful family for me here who I know solely because you were that connecting piece that links us. Each day when I make my to-do lists and plan things out on calendars or notebook paper, a piece of you is here. These are things that you've taught me and will stay with me as I grow up to the woman I'm going to be. You've passed down a few things and they will continue to live on after me. I look forward to having you along to watch my journey.

I love you, G-ma and Happy Birthday.My mom as a kid with Gma in pink- what a babe she was.

No comments:

Post a Comment