Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Llamas in Lima

coolest alpaca ever (fake of course)

One of the things I was most excited about in going to Peru was the fact that it is the native land of llamas and alpacas. Llamas are one my favorite animals and the idea of seeing one in its natural setting just tickles me pink! I'm not sure why, but I think it started back in 7th grade when my English teacher and field hockey coach had this weird llama obsession that somehow rubbed off on me. I'd seen a few llama farms in the Pennsylvania countryside, but this was a whole other ball game.

When I arrived in Peru, I was informed that llamas are not easily found in Lima, but rather in Cuzco where Machu Picchu and the mountains are. However, I refused to believe there are NO llamas in Lima and thus was determined to see some before I left (without taking a trip to the zoo). Thanks to Steph's friend Lori, she knew of this Huaca- an ancient ruin site of the Incas- where they had llamas and some other farm animals. So we ventured to the Huaca and I got my llama fix. Below are some pictures of the ruins, the workers who worked on restoring them, and of course the stars of the show. I can't quite explain it, but they're just funny-looking animals, and they make me laugh. It's just something in their faces, how they show expressions, even how they sit cracks me up. Hope they bring a smile to your face like they do mine.
me & steph

taking a break...

Guinea Pigs- Cuy- are eaten here. I didn't try it though.

Coca plant- though Peru is a country that does not use it for drugs.

making faces...

2 comments:

  1. Those are som COOL Llamas. Did they have cool Llama names? Also, I'm happy you didn't bother trying guinea pig. Something tells me it wouldn't be too delicious anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know which Huaca this was at?

    ReplyDelete