Monday, May 31, 2010

A Memorial in Michigan


I got back from a weekend visit to Michigan yesterday. I met up with my mom, brother, and step-dad to attend my Grandma's memorial service. While it wasn't the ideal reason for a family get together, I really had been looking forward to getting to see a lot of my mom's side of the family that I often don't see that much since they're all spread out in the midwestern and other various states. I was so happy to see my Grandpa Chuck and give him a big hug. I hadn't seen him since my Grandma's passing and it had been driving me crazy that I couldn't just see him and hug him. It was great to see a lot of my other cousins, aunts, uncles, and other various relatives come out to support him and show their love for Grandma. Actions speak loudly and I highly respect those that made the effort to come. It became increasingly clear to me how, when people get older and have a steady job, family to tend to, house they've settled down in, it gets harder to take trips or see distant relatives. It's a bit saddening to me, because as we all saw and noticed, it just takes a bit of effort on all our parts, but it's possible. People think they're too busy or don't have time, but when it comes down to it, family is family. I realized lately how important family is to me and I'm not about to let mine get too much distance even if they are far from me, physically.

My brother & mom

The weekend was full of drama, tears, swear words, laughter, stories, trips down memory lane, old photos, new bonds, car ride adventures, walks around town, enjoying the outdoors, casseroles, and cakes. And I wouldn't have it any other way. Below are some photos I snapped at my Aunt Gale and Uncle Tom's house on the lake in Pinckney, Michigan. It was so peaceful, calming, and refreshing spending the afternoon there and enjoying the lake.

My grape soda-colored toes

My Aunt Gale feeding the swan family that regularly visits their dock


No comments:

Post a Comment