Friday, July 17, 2009

I met an author today

So today I met a real, legitimate, writer. To be honest I hadn't heard of him or his work, but that's not saying much since I haven't been to a bookstore lately. Larry Kirwin, author of Green Suede Shoes was in Staples in SoHo with me today at the printing center... dropping off his latest manuscript to be printed- which he had just completed after 7 years of hard work! I only knew it was him because the woman behind the printing center knew him and asked him to sign her book. I knew The Secret brought this situation into my life and decided to act on it by working up my courage to talk to him. I asked if he would mind giving some advice to an "aspiring writer" or something like that. Although I don't think it came out that smoothly as I started to stumble on my words since I realized that I was talking to someone of importance and stature, even though he was no one I personally knew of. Though I will say I was mildly surprised at my courage and ability to just ask him, I think it shows how I'm growing and maturing as a person because I think last year I would have just worked up the words to say by time he left. So he was very nice, normal, and happy to chat with me briefly about writing and I'm so glad I approached him. His major points were to 1) write everyday and 2) read a lot and read really good well-versed authors... along with some other tidbits I'll always remember. So I'm making it my goal to take this advice to heart and really make the conscious effort to write everyday. Whether it's here or in a journal or something. Another inspiring, motivating experience to add to my week of adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment